If my wife and I are seoarated but still living together, do I have to provide my financial info if she files bankruptcy?

My wife accumulated $40,000 worth of debt while living on her own. She now lives with me as a result and filed for bankruptcy. She went to the trustee meeting today and did not get her debt discharged because she now lives with me. She was told to amend her petition and include my financial info. I don’t want to get mixed up in her mess. Can I refuse to include my financial info in her petition? What are my options?

Asked on June 4, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If a spouse is filing individually, unless they are living apart and are legally separated, in a situation where only one spouse files the income and expenses of the non-filing spouse is required. This is so that the court, the trustee and creditors can evaluate the household's income (however this no way obligates your spouse financially).

So, you can refuse to provide your financial information but your spouse's case will be dismissed as a result.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.