If my wife’s attorney files a petition for seperation and then says he is not going to keep me to it, and then does, can i fight it?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Family Law, Oregon


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm assuming that the attorney wants you to agree to everything your wife is asking for in the petition.

You must be served with the petition and you then have 30 days after service to file a response with the court.

In the response, there is space for you to disagree with any items asked for in the petition. You can also write in items that you would like the court to order that are not included in the petition.

Before agreeing to anything and before a final separation judgment is signed by a judge, you should consult an attorney to protect your interests.

If you have already been served with the petition, make sure that you file a response with the court within the time limits to preserve your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.