If my wife does not testify against me in court will I be convicted of aggravated assault under the family voilence act?

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the facts of your case.  Without her testimony the case will not be as strong; in fact if the case rests soley on her testimony, there is essentially no case at all.  However if there are such things as other witnesses, physical evidence of the assault (pictures of bruising, etc), and the police report you could still be convicted.  It's happened before.

It should go without saying - do not threaten or intimidate her in any way.  You will be committing yet another crime and the DA will be only to happy to file charges against you for that as well.

You need to speak with an attorney in your area on all of this.

M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although I do not practice law in the State of Georgia, here are my initial impressions.  First, in any criminal proceeding, it is the state's burden to prove the defendant is guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt."  Thus, the state must rely on evidence in order to do this.  Your wife's potential testimony is only one example of potential evidence that may exist.  To answer your specific question, if the state's case relies solely upon your wife's testimony, then it is unlikely that the state could obtain a conviction without her testimony.  However, if any other evidence exists, then conviction remains a possibility, and depends on the amount of and quality of the other evidence.  It is also important to remember that your attorney may be able to preclude your wife from testifying pursuant to the marital privilege.  Nevertheless, you should not proceed forward until you have consulted with and/or retained an attorney to discuss the strength of the state's evidence, as well as the merits of any and all potential defenses that may be available to you in the interest of obtaining the most favorable resolution of this matter as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.