If my wife and I have separate checking accounts, can she legally sieze my account?

Wife will be seeking an attorney today. Can she request that my checking account, in my name only, be siezed? Is she entitled to any money in my account?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


Jonathan Baner / Baner and Baner Law Firm

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It isn't your account and it isn't your money.  It isn't hers either.  Typically, in dissolution or other family type matters you get an temporary restraining order that prevents either party from spending funds not in the ordinary course of business or related to the necessities of life.  In other words: spend like normal, but don't go buying a huge flat screen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.