If my wife and I divorce, will I have to pay child support for her 14 year old daughter?

I have paid for her expenses for the 3 years of my marriage since her father is no where to be found. I never adopted her. I may still help her out if I can but will I be legally obligated to?

Asked on October 1, 2017 under Family Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, the law only requires that you pay support for children that you have adopted (or your biological children). Accordingly, you will likely not be required to pay. A this point, you should consult directly with a local divorce attorney who can best advise you as to your overall divorce and this specific issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.