if my wife and I are separating can she force me to leave our house?

Can she change the locks?

Asked on October 21, 2017 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is a legal separation agreement or final decree of divorce in effect which states who has the sole right to possession, the house remains the "joint marital residnce", no matter whose name the deed is in. This means that you cannot be forced out by your wife changing the lights or otherwise. At this point, you should consider consulting directly with a local divorce attorney. They can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.