If my USCIS application has been approved and my boyfriend andI are planning to get married, can my appointment be in the US if he is a US citizen?

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your application is based on a petition filed by another relative, you will have to go through the consular process in order to get the visa and enter the US; you cannot have it in the US.  Once you are in the US, you can get married.  Depending on how much longer it will be before your consular appointment, you can probably try to travel to the US to see your boyfriend or even get married but your process will still have to be done at the designated US Consulate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.