Is it discrimination if my supervisor says that I may have a hard time with something related to my job saying, “Because you’re a man”?

Asked on December 11, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, that statement may well be discrimination; with a few, obvious exceptions, an employer cannot treat men and women differently due to their gender. As stated, the exceptions are obvious ones: say you are a social worker and are counseling a woman who miscarried--because that is probably a true statement, that a man very likely cannot relate to a miscarriage as a woman (particularly one who's been pregnant) might--that would likely not be discrimination; the statement is grounded in fact, in a real gender-based difference, and not in discrimination against a gender.
However, even if it was a discriminatory statment, unless there is an ongoing pattern of harassment, or unless you suffered some adverse consequence due to your supervisor's belief that a man can't relate to certain things (e.g. demoted, hours changed, transferred, etc.), there's no point in taking action: the law would not provide any compensation for an isolated or infrequent/uncommon comment not associated with some negative job action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.