If my spouse provided a different middle name on our marriage certificate than what is on their birth certificate, is this a legal marriage?

Asked on March 12, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It can absolutely still be considered a legal marriage because there could be a lot of reasons for that name change, including intermediate changes to the name prior to the name. If you believe this was fraud, you can check your state's divorce process and see if fraud is a viable argument to dissolve this marriage or have it annulled. If the marriage has been a long marriage and you held yourselves out as husband and wife and the issue is one that you have no problem with, you can simply see if the marriage certificate should be amended.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.