If my son was adjudication a youthful offender and I want to relocate to another state, does he have to disclose anything or are his records sealed there as well?

Asked on November 11, 2014 under Criminal Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the sealing is done in New York under CPL 720.35 then it is done automatically upon adjudication. These records are available to certain agencies under the law and to certain others who make make a motion to review them. The sealing follows him where ever he goes but again, the records are available to certain agencies. If he was acquitted then they are permanently sealed and finger prints destroyed. Here is who may see them and the exception:

  • The institution to which the youth has been committed.
  • The division of parole.
  • The probation department.
  • The statewide registry of orders of protection when an order of protection or family offense warrant is issued.
  • The designated educational official (DEO) of the public or private elementary or secondary school in which the youth is enrolled as a student. The DEO shall not have access to any other official records except an order of protection or temporary order of protection issued pursuant to CPL 530.12.
  • Statewide registry for orders of protection or a warrant issued pursuant to CPL 530.12.


  • Where specifically required or permitted by statute.
  • Upon specific authorization of the court

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.