If my son and I are on a loan together for a vehicle and the insurance is in both our names, what is my liability if he gets into an accident and hurts someone?

Asked on March 10, 2015 under Accident Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since both you and your son are on the insurance policy and you are a co-signer on the loan, you will be held liable if your son is at fault in an accident.

Your liability will include property damage (cost of repairs) to the other vehicle not at fault in the accident.  You will also be liable for the personal injury claims of the occupants of the other vehicle not at fault in the accident.

Your liability on the personal injury claims will include the medical bills, pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills) and wage loss.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is determined by the medical reports which document the nature and extent of the injuries.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.