If my roommate signed a 30 day move out notice and needs my signature but is refusing to pay any of the fees involved, what are my rights?

My roommate and I came to a disagreement, resulting in me moving out. I wanted to sign a roommate swap addendum with the office and one of the new tenants that recently moved in, but they refused to cooperate. I reported them and now they want me to sign a 30 day move out notice. The management office wants $815 for 1 months rent plus $75 for lease termination fees. My roommates refuse to pay any portion of the fees declared. What should be my approach to this situation?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Since you are the one moving out of the unit for whatever reason that you are renting, it makes sense that your soon to be former roommates who is staying behind should be taking the position they are in not wanting to pay any part of your out of pocket expenses necessitated by your move.

One approach could be that your roommates move out and they pay the fee. Unfortunately you are in a situation where your landlord is willing to let you out of the lease that you are in for a price with no future obligation. You need to evaluate whether or not the $890.00 cost to move out without being obligated further on the existing lease is worthwhile.

I suggest that if you do move out, make sure you receive a full written release as to the rental from your landlord.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.