If my roommate moves in her boyfriend to our apartment without my permission, do I have a legal way to get out of my half of the lease?

I have been living in my current apartment with my roommate for about 9 months now. We both are co-signers on our lease. About a month ago, she told me she wanted to move her boyfriend in with us, and I told her we could do a week trial to see how it went. It did not go well. They fight and I am very uncomfortable with the situation. She now tells me that he is moving in for good and I told her absolutely not. She basically told me, “too bad”. I want to move out because I feel as I am being forced to. Do I have any legal way to break my lease?

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You lease/contract is with the landlord, not with your roommate.  That said, the boyfriend is not on the lease.  Your landlord could refuse to allow the boyfriend to stay.  But if you get the landlord on your side, it is going to make things very chilly between you and your roommate.  I would try to negotiate an early departure with your roommate.  If it is a one-year lease, we are only talking about three months.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.