If my primary doctor’s office deals in paper records and lost my file which was full of my personal information, can I sue them?

This has left me susceptible to identity fraud and someone using my information to obtain credit cards or auto loans or anything else.

Asked on July 9, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can only sue for *actual* injuries or losses, not potential ones. So, if your identify is in fact stolen and/or someone obtains a credit card, loan, etc. in your name, at that point, you could sue, if you believe (and believe you can show) that the identity theft, etc. occured due to the loss of your records. However, unless and until something happens and you incur some loss or cost, you cannot sue, since there has not yet been any injury for which the law provides compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.