If my name is on the vehicle title with my child, can I be sued for an accident that was my child’s fault even if I was not in the vehicle?

Asked on October 8, 2011 under Accident Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can.  Generally speaking, the plaintiff's attorney will sue not only the driver of the vehicle but the owner as well.  This is because in many states the law is that the owner of a vehicle is vicariously liable for the negligence of the driver of the vehicle.  This is how it is in New York.  You will need to double check this in your state of Oklahoma as well.  You are both the owners of the car and the plaintiff's attorney - the one who is going to sue you - can not take the chance that they do not get the insured party in the suit either.  If in fact you do get sued send the papers to your insurance company asap.  You also need to report any accidents had asap or your insurance company will disclaim.  And please make sure that you are not under insured.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.