If my name is not on the deed to my husband’s house, what happens if he were to pass away?

He said since I’m his wife it automatically “becomes” mine.

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your husband dies intestate, which means without a Will, as the surviving spouse you would inherit his entire estate.

If you live in a community property state and the house was purchased during marriage, each spouse has a one half interest in the community property.  Your husband under his Will could dispose of his half of the community property, which means you might only end up with a one half interest in the house.   If the house was purchased by your husband before marriage, the house is his separate property.  A spouse has no claim to the other spouse's separate property, which means your husband could dispose of the house by a Will and leave it to someone else.

If you don't live in a community property state, other rules may be applicable.

Intestate succession (dying without a Will) again means you would inherit your husband's entire estate since you are the surviving spouse.

If your husband leaves a Will, he could leave the house to you or to someone else if the house is his separate property (acquired before marriage) and you live in a community property state.

If you live in a community property state, your husband could only dispose of one half ot the community property by Will because you would inherit the other half.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.