If my license was suspended in one state for a DUI but I pay the restitution fees, can my drivers license be reinstated in another state?

I was charged with a DUI in MO and had my license suspended. Currently I am living in AR. My court date is scheduled for next month but the papers state that I have to have a current drivers license when I go for my court hearing. I don’t know if I can get my license since I am living in a different state. Do I go by MO or AR law?

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your current court proceeding deals with a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance in Missouri and your driver's license has been suspended as the result of your arrest, you need to show up at your court hearing in Missouri and show the judge your driver's license which I presume is a license issued by the State of Missouri.

Although it has been suspended by Missouri's Department of Motor Vehicles as the result of your arrest, it is current. I suspect that at the upcoming hearing the court will instruct the bailiff to take in possession your actual driver's license since it has been suspended.

I suggest that you obey the court order concerning your arrest in Missouri.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.