If my lease expires at the end of the month and I don’t want to renew it, if I haven’t had enough time to give a 30 day notice what happens?

I am getting married and my lease expires at the end of the month and I am moving in with my fiance and I don’t want to renew lease. Can they make me stay or pay for another 30 days rent even those my lease is expired?

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Well congratulations! You need to read your lease to see what it says about notice, although from the way that you have written the question I think that you already have and that you know the answer here. Specifically does it state that you have to give notice of renewal or notice of non-renewal or both?  And the landord has said nothing as to the matter?  If the lease supports the landlord in the renewal of the matter then they could take you to court for another month's rent.  Have you tried speaking with the landlord?  I would as you have nothing to lose at this point in time.  And make sure that you leave the apartment broom clean and get an exit walk through and something signed stating that you left it okay absent normal wear and tear.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.