If my kids live with their father during the week and stay with me on weekends, will I have issues changing that later on?

I am separating from my boyfriend who I have lived with for 12 years. He owns the home we live in. We have 2 small children 3 and 4. I am planning on having my girls live with their dad during the week and then spending the weekends with me. I am trying to make this the least traumatic situation for my girls. I want to see if I will have legal issues if at a later date I wish to have my girls live with me during the week.

Asked on June 23, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please, please, please go and speak with an attorney about establishing your rights now in a written agreement.  Modification of the agreement can be had later on at any time should you both agree to it.  Should he not then you will have to take him to court to do so.  The court's determine these issues "in the best interest of the children."  You seem to have the same feeling about the situation now but you may wish to establish at least one or two nights with you now as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.