If my husband made me vice president of his company am I entitled to a paycheck or compensation

My husband and I are married but he doesn’t ever give me any money when I would like to get something small or something for one of my children especially when we argue and I don’t know if I’m able to get a job since he made me vice president of his company and I wanted to know if I’m entitled to be paid I’m trying to separate but cannot do so without access to no money and all of the accounts are in his name alone

Asked on September 22, 2017 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you are also an owner of the company, you don't have to be paid: owners are not required to be be paid salary or wages.
However, all none-owner employees, even spouses, must be paid. So if you are an employee of the business--and you are, if you are not an owner but are a VP--you have to be paid. You don't have to be paid alot--for example, despite being a VP, you can made an hourly employee at minimum wage, in which case for any/every hour you actually do any work, you would have to be paid at least minimum wage (and also be paid overtime if you worked more than 40 hours in a week)--but when you do work, you have to be paid something under the labor and wage laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.