If my husband drinks, drives and has an accident, am i legally responsible if I have a legal separation?

I will have to live in the same condo in separate bedrooms until I pay off bills. I don’t want to lose everything if he has an accident and hurts others.

Asked on May 17, 2017 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Community property is property, income, debt acquired during marriage.  Each spouse has a one half interest in the community property.
Separate property is property, income, debt acquired before marriage or after the marriage ends. A spouse has no claim to the other spouse's separate property.
If you are separated with no intent to reunite, the debt (monetary claim from an auto accident in which he is at fault) would be his separate property and you would not be liable because it occurred after the marriage ended.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.