If my husband and I married in the US and he is from Puerto Rico, are there any important legal steps we must take if he has an estate in Puerto Rico and we are preparing to do Wills?

Asked on October 27, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Technically, only a court in the U.S. would have absolute juridiction over property in the U.S.  You can go ahead and execute wills in the U.S..... but if you want to make sure that your wishes are honored, you may want to consult execute simultaneous  wills in Puerto Rico that exactly mirror the U.S. wills. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.