If my house is sold for back taxes, how long do I have to get it back and do I have to move?

Asked on November 8, 2015 under Real Estate Law, West Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your house is sold for back taxes, you need to find out if this was a private sale. If it was a private sale, there really is no chance to redeem. You need to contact the taxing authority to see what occurred. If the house has a lien and a foreclosure is going to occur, you can redeem up to the foreclosure date.
Talk to a housing counselor about the status of your current loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.