Ifmy grandmother passed away and left me in her Will, am I required to submit my original birth certificate?

I have been speaking with my uncle whom I guess has been working with the lawyers in regards what my grandmother left for us. My uncle stated the lawyers are requesting a copy of my birth certificate with the raised seal on it. I am her son’s daughter. She lived in PR; I’m in the states.

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Although it does sound a bit odd, it may be that because she resided in Puerto Rico the attorneys there just want to make sure that they have properly documented the heirs of the estate really for their own protection as well as for yours  - you do not want some one coming in to claim they are an heir when they are not - or it may be required of the probate process there.  If the issue is that you do not have a copy of your birth certificate it is really very easy to obtain.  You have to go to the Bureau of Vital records and obtain an official copy of the certificate.  You just have to bring identification (look on their website) and payment.  And if you want to know why you can just ask it of the proposed fiduciary of the estate (executor or executrix). Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.