If my grandmother can’t afford nursinng home care, can Medicad take the property she donated to me 2 years ago?

She’s my grandmother but she donated a house and acre of land to me 2 years ago. My family and I live here. Can they kick us to the streets so the nursing home gets paid? She also donated a house to her daughter with an acre.

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is something in cases like this known as the "look back period". What this means is that Medicaid will look back into a patients finances for a period of 5 years. Any transfers for less than fair market value can be undone and the state can take the property to offset a patient's nursing home expenses. Since your grandmother gifted you her home, this would appear to be a voidable transaction.

At this point, you should speak with an attorney in your area who secializes in elder care law. You can go over all of the details of your situation and they can advise you accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.