If my grandfather molested me when I was 6, can I still persecute him now that I am 20?

I live in New York. My grandfather lives in Connecticut. When I was younger my grandfather used to play

Asked on September 21, 2017 under Personal Injury, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

First I need to say how impressed I am that you have written in after all these years and everything that you have gone through.  How proud you should be of yourself for getting help and how brave you are for thinking beyond just yourself to try and protect your little cousin from what you and your brother went through. Getting justice will surely help you in the healing process and I am glad that I can help guide you. So what you need to worry about in any legal case is what is called the Statute of Limitations (SOL).  That is the time one is permiited to bring an action - civil or criminal - against another person or entity that has caused them harm and injury.  I am assuming that the molestation happened in Connecticut.  If that is the case, there is NO statute of limitations for aggravated sexual assault of a minor. For sex abuse cases it is 30 years from the time you turn 18 or 5 years from the time you notify various authorities.  So here is what you and your brother need to do: you can go and report it to the police but it may actually be better to go to the local prosecutor's office in Connecticut (where it happened) and speak with anyone in a sex crimes unit.  If any of the abuse also happened in New York, ask the prosecutor what you should do about those occurrences and go and speak with a Prosecutor in the County in which the abuse occurred there as well.  Now, you should also consider a civil suit against your Grandfather.  In Connecticut the SOL is again 30 years after 18. In New York it is 23 (5 years after turning 18).  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE go and speak with a personal injury attorney about your case. In New York first and then in Connecticut. Good luck and God Bless. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.