If my friend moved out voluntarily and is dragging her feet about getting her things and her cats, do I have to offer her unsupervised entry to my house?

She said she would be out 2 days ago. I made myself available for her to get stuff for 48 hours after she moved out and then since i have to work have let her know when we are available for her to get more stuff. She was not on a lease, she did not pay bills or rent and again she moved out voluntarily. I am not denying her her things, just due to previous theft issues with her I do not want her coming and going without a homeowner present. She does not work or have time constraints so it’s not like my availablity is too limiting to get her few car loads and her cats (which she has not taken of).

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, if she was not a tenant with you (from the landlord) or a subtenant of your (i.e. did not sublet from you), then if she moved out, she has no more right to access the property. You need to reasoanbly accomodate her in getting her belongings, but you do not need to allow her unsupervised access; she needs to come sometime that is mutually agreeable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.