If my fiance was picked up on a warrant because he didn’t complete his 8 hour drug course as ordered for possession of marijuana (less than 2 oz) charge, what happens next?

He is in county jail and his warrant is from another county; they will be coming to pick him up tomorrow. He already has a bond set but we cannot afford it. This ticket is from 2 years ago. I am trying to figure out what the next step is and what our options are so that I can get him out and this ticket taken care of as soon as possible.

Asked on July 23, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your fiance needs to request a court appointed attorney to help him (1) work a deal (2) request a bond reduction and (3) identify any other options that are specific to his case.  If he's already been in a couple of days awaiting transport, he may be able to obtain credit towards his fine for some or all of the days that he has been sitting in jail.  If you are cash strapped on funds, sitting a short time in jail may be more budget friendly on your finances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.