If my father wants to change all of his property over to his children now, would we have to pay inheritance tax after he passes away?

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Probably no inheritance tax would be due, unless the value of the property exceeds the federal estate tax exemption and the property  transfer was an attempt to evade the estate tax; however there may be some gift tax due; suggest you seek the counsel of a CPA or a probate/estate planning attorney who has a strong background in estate tax application.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.