If my ex–wife is now cohabitating canI stop paying support?

Asked on October 28, 2011 under Family Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you are under a spousal support order and your wife is not living with another person who is assisting in her support, you should contact a family law attorney to see if the spousal support order that you are obligated under can be modified.

I would not stop paying the court ordered spousal support to your former wife until there has been a hearing on any modification for any spousal support and the court has made an order on the proceeding. Until the court orders otherwise, you are still under order to pay the spousal support.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.