If my ex-husband does not follow what is written in the divorce decree that was signed by the judge, what are my rights?

He was to have my car stripped of performance parts and put back into working order almost 4 1/2 months ago (which is still in pieces); a car payment to be made monthly (in which it has gone into re-possession status 2 times in the last 6 months and the car is in my name); and also a credit card which he was using for his business that he hasn’t made payments on for 10 months or so (also in my name).

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Family Law, Michigan


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can file a motion of contempt in the court to enforce the decree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.