If my ex stops paying child support, do I still have to pay medical 50/50?

Asked on November 13, 2012 under Family Law, Utah


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to be prepared to mitigate your damages. If you have custody of your child and your ex has stopped paying child support, chances are your ex will stop paying for half the medical, too.  In which case, you need to be prepared to pay all medical and file a contempt order in family court to enforce the original support order, including medical and any reimbursement thereof.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.