If my ex-boyfriend used my car to go to work and crashed my car, can I file suit against him for the $500 deductible plus related expenses?

I was not in the car while driving, he solely reported the claim on my insurance carrier. Also I have text message documents f him stating he was liable for wrecking the car. His argument against mine from our dispute in opinion is that I had a slight *crack in my bumper already, however my insurance quoted the damage done by the accident I be $4,044. He had airbags deployed in the accident, as well as many other cosmetic/ mechanical things that needed to be fixed. His refusal to pay also streams from personal issues that have nothing to do with it.

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Accident Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about if your boyfriend's negligence was the cause of the damages to your car, then under the laws of all states in this country there seems to be a factual and legal basis for bringing a legal action against him. From what you have written about, small claims court seems to be the forum.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.