If my employer provides combination lockers, are they responsible for money stolen from the locker even though they have a disclaimer sign?

My employer had problems distributing paychecks so they offered to cash them for everyone. Since they did this in the afternoon we didn’t have a chance to go to the bank. When I went to my assigned locker after work I discovered someone had opened it and stole $500. Not broken into but opened. The company has a disclaimer on the wall but could they still be held responsible?

Asked on January 4, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Those signs are everywhere and employers always attempt to limit their liability by making everything "at your own risk."  Here, though, I think that you may have a shot at getting some of that money back.  The issue is really control of the locker: did the employer relinquish control to you and were you under complete control of the locker at the time of the theft.  If they merely provide the locker and you had to bring your own lock then I would say that you may not have a case.  But, if they provided the combination locks and you had to use them to use the lockers then they still maintained some control here. And they may have been negligent in the handling of the combinations.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.