If my employer is dumping more and more work on me causing me anxiety can I file a workers compensation claim? If so what do I need to do?

I work at a hospital and when someone leaves they don’t replace them. Our staffing is very low and no one wants to help anyone. I am currently seeing a therapist for anxiety and now I’m on medicine due to the stress from my job. What are my options other then seeking another job?

Asked on April 7, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your only option is to seek another job: worker's compensation is not available for the work stress or anxiety of having to work harder or longer or with less support. The law simply does not recognize having to do more work, or cover when an employer is understaffed or under-resourced, as a wrongful act by the employer, or work stress like you describe as an injury for which you are entitled to compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.