If my dad puts me on the deed to his property, would we avoid inheritance taxes upon his death?

Is there a length of time I would need to be on the deed?

Asked on November 6, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you father deeds you an interest in real property that he presently owns there would be no estate tax for the gift at the present but could very well be a gift tax that your father would be responsible for upon transfer. As such, I suggest that your father consult with a Wills and trust attorney about how he may wish to properly go about setting up a proper estate plan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.