If my company asks me to attend a masters program and pays for it, it that a form of implied contract?

My company asked me to apply for a masters program and paid for the deposit. Then without reason fired me right before school began, I even planned my pregnancy around school. On a bonus check a few months prior they wrote about looking forward to all I had to offer the company. Do I have a breach of contract case?

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, probably not.  "Looking forward to all I had to offer the company" seems too general to be enforced and isn't specific to paying for a Master's program.  California Civil Code Section 1624 dictates which contracts need to be in writing and includes contracts which cannot be performed within a year.  It appears as though a Master's program probably cannot be performed within a year, so they probably have a good defense in that any agreement to pay for your Master's program would probably need to be in writing.

As unfortunate as that is, I don't think the law gives you much recourse in this situation. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.