If my child was arrested from the school because of threatening a teacher, what should I do?

Other children and teacher said that my child threatened to kill the teacher after the teacher told him he can’t come into the classroom. The next day I got a call saying that my child was arrested because the teacher felt threatened the day before. The principal said that he felt that it could have been resolved by suspension but it wasn’t up to him.

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your child was arrested as a result of having made threats upon his teacher, you need to consult with a criminal defense attorney who is experienced in the criminal defense of juveniles.

If your child is convicted of the criminal charge or charges against him, your child could be incarcerated in a juvenile detention facility. If that happens, he will be unable to attend the school that he was presently attending and will be away from mainstream education.

You might consider taking your child to counseling as well after consulting with the criminal defense attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.