If my child (minor) commited an offense at his fathers house what financial responsibilities are required by law from me?

I have been divorced for 5 years. he has had sole custody for at least 4 years. he wants me to pay half the legal fees and fines. What is my legal requirement?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

my first piece of advice is to contact a local attorney, even your old divorce lawyer about this situation. I cannot really address this fully because there are too many factors I am unaware of. If your ex has full custody I assume you pay child support. You will be able to than make a valid argument that you are not required to pay half the expenses and the responsibility falls on your ex both as custodian and the person whose home the offense occurred in

However there are a lot of specific questions I would need to have answered to be sure of whether you are responsibile so I strongly urge you to get your self represented or at least consult with a lawyer explain the situation and see what they have to say. good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.