If my ceiling is leaking and my only working toilet is not usable, doI have to pay rent?

My landlord hasn’t repaired anything. I’ve had to stay at friend’s house with 2 kids. Meanwhile my carpet outside the restroom has been flooded with sewer water and tracked through my house.

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Since you had to move from your rental, you may be able to terminate your lease based what is known as "constructive eviction". In addition, you might obtain a refund of your security deposit and have a legal claim for any costs you incur as a result of your move. There is also the potential for you to recover your attorney's fees, if any.  Any documentation that you may have will add to the strength of your claim (e.g. photos, health department inspection, etc).

In the alternative, you can claim a breach of the "warranty of habitability" (this is a guarantee that is implied in every residential lease). What this means is that a tenant must be given a safe and sanitary premises in which to live. You have several options for such a breach. You can: terminate your lease (and get security deposit returned); withhold rent until the repairs are made; or make the repair yourself and the deduct the cost from the rent.

At this point, you need to consult directly with an attorney in your area who specializes in landlord-tenant matters. At the very least, you can contact a tenants' right advocacy group. If you attempt any of the above legal remedies you must be certain of your rights under applicable state law. The consequence of wrongfully using these self-help measures could cost you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.