if my case is not argued and a sentence is handed to me, but im passed the point of motions, have my rights been violated to a fair trial….

also, if they have, have i obstructed the fact my rights have been misused because i already took their bargain, or can i still proceed with this arguement, also they denied me representation.i filed an affifavit for assets n liabilities, they still denied me tho. thier trying to lock me up real bad, cuz i didnt pay a 500 dollar fine or do the comm. service…

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Criminal Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If I understand your question correctly (and in my mind, that's a fair-sized "if" right now), you took a plea bargain and plead guilty to some offense, and your sentence included a fine and community service.  You might have entered the plea without an attorney, because you didn't qualify for a court-appointed lawyer.  Now you are facing jail for having failed to pay the fine or do the community service.

I think it's very unlikely that you can still claim your right to a fair trial was violated.  You gave up the right to a trial when you entered the guilty plea;  while the procedure differs from one state to another and I'm not an Illinois lawyer, I'm quite certain that this part of the deal was put on the record.

I think you need to talk to a lawyer now, about the best way to deal with the present situation.  One place to find a qualified attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.