If my business partner is being sued for half the company in a divorce, do I have any recourse as a de facto partner even though I am not part of the sole proprietorship?

I have been the de facto partner in a business for 12 years even though I am not on the paperwork. The sole proprietorship is set up in my partner’s name, but he is now going through a divorce and his soon to be ex-wife is suing to get half of the company. Do I have any legal recourse as the equal business partner in all decision making and fiduciary matters?

Asked on December 20, 2017 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not have any recourse because you are not an equal business partner--you are not a partner at all, if the company is a "sole proprietorship." As the word "sole" implies, it has one owner, the person you call you partner: it is is his company solely, not yours. And because it is a sole proprietorship, not an LLC or corporation, it's not really a "company" at all: in a sole proprietorship, the assets are owned directly the proprietor, the same way he owns his car or house or clothing; the income goes directly to the proprietor, not to some other entity; etc.. Legally, the company and proprietor are one and the same.
So the spouse is not suing for "half the company": she is suing for half the assets belonging to her spouse, which incudes what you think of as a separate company.
There are ways in the last 12 years this could have been resolved in your favor and you protected: your "partner," if he truly valued you as partner, could have entered into a legal partnership with you; or he could have turned the company into an LLC or corporation and given you the appropriate share of it. Either of those options would have given you a protectible legal interest. However, he did not, and if they in the divorce now, it is too late to change the business structure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.