If my boyfriend is already paying the max they can take for child support, can they still freeze his bank account for arrears?

He called enforcement and said he had not made a payment in 2 yrs. His check is currently being garnished after not working for one year. As soon as he found a job, granted making a lot less since he was out of work for so long he can only pay what is originally owed and cannot pay any arrears at this time. I am working 2 jobs just to make ends meet already, and with his position he already works 6 to 7 days a week 12 hours days. Not sure what else she wants from us? The only time he did not pay was the year he did not work.

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If this ever happens again - that he loses his job - he needs to understand that he can not just stop paying with an order in place.  He must seek a modification of the support order based upon a "change of circumstances" - his lost job.  Good luck.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is a child custody order in place setting forth a set amount owed per month and a set amount unpaid in arrears, then it is entirely possible that the judgment creditor can levy your boyfriend's bank account for the unpaid amount which is in arrears and take as much that is in the bank account at the time to pay such off.

I suggest that your boyfriend enter into some written agreement with the "ex" with regards to payment on the arrearages on an monthly amount that he can afford so he does not have to worry about a bank levy on his assets.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.