If my baby’s daddy adopts other children, does that mean he does not have to pay back child support?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

No, it does not mean that at all. Whether he adopts other children or has other biological children of his own does not affect his legal obligation to provide support for the child he had with you, or to pay back child support which he had previously not paid or owed.

On a forward-looking basis (after the adoption), it is possible that if he went to court and showed that he has new family obligations, that he might be able to have his child support obligations to your child modified on the basis that he cannot afford to care for his new children while paying the full amount to your child. However, he would have to go to court to do that, and make a compelling showing of need--and it is still far from certain that he would succeed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.