If my 21 year old son uses my health insurance, who is liable to pay the balance?

He signed the forms. He applied for reduced cost through the hospial as he is starting grad school, has $25,000 in college loans and generates about $10,000 annually with a summer job. We claimed him last year but starting this year he will be claiming himself. The trip to the ER occurred 5 months ago. Hospital is now asking to see our most recent tax returns since we claimed him last year because his tax forms showed that he didn’t claim himself.

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since your son is an adult but is on your insurance policy, he should be held responsible for paying the balance owed with respect to the hospital bill he incurred about five (5) months ago not you. I see no reason why you should provide the hospital with your tax returns concerning your son's medical bills.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.