If my 13 year old son got into trouble, can they send him to a boys’ facility in a different state?

Asked on March 20, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The general answer to your question is no.  Funding for programs are usually limited to programs that are within the state.  However, there are exceptions.  Sometimes a probation officer will identify a unique program that a child could really use and the parents are willing to pay for it--- in this case, the child would be sent to a different state.  But... this would be the exception, not the general rule.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.