If my wife and I are separated and living in different houses, can she come to my place of residence and go through my mailbox and open my mail?

Asked on November 17, 2015 under Family Law, Alaska


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your wife for conversion which is theft in a civil case.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount of the funds that were stolen.
You might also want to consider filing criminal charges for larceny and theft of the mail.  The criminal case is separate from the civil case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.