If may ex husbands girlfriend passes away, and has no will who gets here vehicles

My ex husband in Arkansas’ live in girlfriend for 2 years passed away and had a living will, everything went to her sons in Texas, but she had 2 vehicles that was not included in that will. They have been parked in his yard since she first bought them and she has been passed away for 9 months and her sons still have not came and got her vehicles or her other personal belongings left there. My ex has talked to one of the sons and they told him they do not want the vehicles and was suppose to write him out a statement but never did. They are in just her name only. Does he get to keep them and if so how would he go about changing them to his name and getting them licensed in his name? They also had 2 recreational vehicles that was in both their names. Will he be entitled to keep those?
Thank you for any help you can give to us.

Asked on December 21, 2017 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Please have him take the title of the recreational vehicles to an attorney to see if they are jointly held and owned.  They could have indeed passed to him at the time of her death.  But the other 2 vehicles are part of HER estate and need to go through probate to have the title changed.  There may be a simpler mechanism if her estate was not very large but the Personal Representative must transfer the vehicles to your ex.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.