Iflandlord doesn’t tell you that thebuilding has bedbugs when you move in, can you sue for the property that you have to throw away?

I moved in to an apartment, and asked the landlord prior to moving, if they had any problems with bed bugs. I have been here 8 months now and found them. I told the landlord and then went to the neighbor to tell her. Well she tells me that she has had them since 4 months before we moved in and had told the landlord at that time. Now every thing has signs of bed bugs and we want out of the apartment; we will have to throw most of our furniture away.

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you moved into your rental and the landlord knew that there was a bedbug issue or had been one and failed to disclose this fact to you, there is the basis for you to bring a legal action for damages to your property that you had to throw away.

In any transaction, the seller has the obligation to disclose all known fact that would materially affect the desirability of the price paid for an item or the desirability by a willing buyer, or renter in your case. The landlord was obligated to disclose the bedbug issue before you signed the lease for the rental if he or she knew about it at the time. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.