If I’m in the will and the property is a trust am I allowed in the property

My grandfather and father left me
something buried on my grandfathers
property they are both dead I am in the
will and next of kin can I be on the
property even if other family members
don’t want me there

Asked on June 15, 2017 under Estate Planning, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The trustee  or trustees (whomever was given the authority to make decisions for the trust) can decide who may or may not enter the property. The trust is its own legal entity--its own "person" if you would. Just as a person (or business) could refuse to let you on their property, so, too, can a trust refuse to let you on the property. So if the trustees will not let you enter, if you do, you will be trespassing and could face criminal charges.
If they won't voluntarily let you on the land, your only option would be to file a lawsuit against the trust in chancery court (a part of county court which deals with issues involving "fairness" rather than clear legal rights and which also focuses on granting court orders to do things, not monetary compensation) and seek an order allowing you to retrieve the item. The court could weigh the terms of the will vs. the trust, look to the equities or fairness, and *could*--but is not required to--allow you to access the item, though it could put conditions on you doing so (e.g. scheduled in advance; a witness from the trust to what you are doing; inspection of anything you find, to make sure it's *only* what was willed to you; you posting a bond or escrowing money to pay to restore/repair any damage you do in digging; etc.).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.